From WinRAR v3.50, this versatile and secure utility has been constantly improving for the better, providing wonderful compression ratio and user interface that is fully compatible with Windows XP x64 or above, including shell integration. Besides RAR, it also supports compression to ZIP and can unpack many other archive formats like CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, 7Z, Z.
WinRAR Version 4.01 is the latest stable version which is easy to use, powerful, affordable and can put you ahead of the pack when it comes to what it does best: file compression with smaller archives that saves disk space and transmission costs.
Other useful features of WinRAR v4.01 include:
- Added support for large file size stored in binary format in TAR archives.
- Improved RAR decompression speed up to 30% faster than in previous versions.
- Special “Wizard” mode that allows instant access to the basic archiving functions through a simple question and answer procedure.
- Industry strength archive encryption using AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) with a key of 128 bits.
- Unlimited number of archived files support.
- Ability to self-extracting and multivolume archives.
- Reconstruction of physically damaged archives with Data Recovery record and Recovery volumes feature.
Using WinRAR Themes is a fresh and damn cool way to improvise the user interface instead of using the boring standard theme icons. Although WinRAR has wonderful collection of themes available in 32×32, 48×48, 64×64, 80×80, 96×96 and 128×128 toolbar icons sets, many have no idea that WinRAR had themes. And moreover, WinRAR themes are free to download @ RARLAB Themes, very easy to install and to use –
- Simply double click on the RAR archived theme file and when it prompts you whether to install the theme contained in the archive or not, just click “Yes” for the installation to finish right after.
- Next, to apply your desired theme just select it from WinRAR “Option -> Themes” menu.
That’s it! Your WinRAR is now ready with a fresh new look!!
Here is how WinRAR looks with some ubercool theme icons: